- Reduce light(blue light) exposure in the evening Blue light, which electronic devices like ipads, smartphones and computers emit in HUGE amounts, is the worst for sleepy time. Say goodnight to your devices an hour before you hit the hay. I know, I know, but it’s a great habit to start. Your brain will thank us. Reducing light in the evening will have a major impact on your circadian rhythm. When you are exposed to massive amounts of light in the evening, that light is tricking your brain into thinking it is still daytime. EEK! It will actually reduce your natural hormone response of melatonin, which helps you relax, mellow out, chill, and get deep sleep.
- Don’t drink or eat caffeine later in the day We ALL love it. Some of us can admit to being addicted to that dark, rich seductress, coffee. A single dose will enhance energy, focus, mood, and energy. Here comes the bummer news, when enjoyed later in the day, coffee, that dark addictive lord, (and other caffeinated products) stimulates your nervous system and stops your body from naturally relaxing at night. In one study, consuming caffeine up to 6 hours before bed, significantly made people toss and turn! Your quality of sleep WILL plummet.
- Create a solid sleep pattern you can stick to:
We’ve already talked about your bod’s circadian rhythm functions . Well let’s get them on a schedule, people! Try aligning it with sunrise and sunset. (I know it sounds insane, but keep reading)
Just be consistent with your sleep and waking times. Try it for just a week. Go to bed every night at ___pm. Set the alarm at the same time every morning ___am. This will get you cruising on a super highway of sound sleeping. Ya know, it’s been studied that after several weeks on a schedule, you may not even need an alarm. YIPPPIE!!!!!!
- Optimize your bedroom vibe:
When I say vibe, I’m referring to the bedroom environment. Not too warm, not too cool. External lights, outside(or inside) noise factors, and furniture arrangement. Many MANY studies point out that external noise such as traffic, can cause poor sleep and long-term health issues. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP NOOOO! A study on the bedroom environment of women, around 50% of volunteers, noticed improved sleep quality when noise and light was reduced. Seems obvious to us. Quiet, peaceful = sleepy time! Let’s get your bedroom environment cozy. Minimize external noise, light and artificial lights from devices like alarm clocks. Make sure your bedroom is a quiet, relaxing, clean, and enjoyable place where you want to be. That’s SUPER important.
Symphony Blackout Shades, with our exclusive sidetrack/energy saving system, blocks light from entering along the edges of blinds. The tops of our shades are sealed in by a fuzzy seal to block even MORE exterior light at the top of the shade. The sidetrack system is attached magnetically and is easy to pop off for cleaning the window treatments. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!
- Standard Pull Cord
- Standard Top Down Bottom Up
- Smoothy Continuous Cord
- Smoothy Top Down/Bottom up